This diy natural bug spray is a must for camping, hikes, + summer outside activities! Most commercial bug repellents contain DEET, which is not recommended for use on children — and has been proven to have some scary side effects for some users. This recipe is gentle enough to use on the whole family!
- 10 drops lavender
- 10 drops purification
- 10 drops lemongrass
- 10 drops citronella
- 10 drops eucalyptus radiata
- alcohol free, unscented witch hazel
- distilled water
- 4 oz glass spray bottle
Drop the essential oils into a glass spray bottle. Click here for the 4 oz oz clear glass bottles I used.
Fill the spray the remainder of the way with equal parts distilled water and witch hazel.
Gently roll between hands to mix before each use. Spray preventively on skin, clothing, and hair.
Essential Oils for Common Bugs:
Here is a list of essential oils that can help detour specific insects/bugs:
- Mosquitos – citronella, lemon eucalyptus, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, catnip, basil, clove, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, lavender
- Fleas – cedarwood, citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree oil, lemongrass, lavender, orange, pine,
- Ticks – rose geranium, juniper, rosewood, thyme, grapefruit, oregano, peppermint
Shop Essential Oils
If you’re ready to snag the essential oils you need for this DIY bug spray, or wanting to just browse around for other oils or nontoxic products, click here to shop:
Learn more about our journey with essential oils + why we love Young Living:
Have a question or want to chat more? Send me a message!