diffusers vs. candles
why we ditched candles
Who else loves a cozy, candle flicker after a long day!? I used to be a candle lover through & through — literally couldn’t escape the aisles of tj maxx without picking up at least one pumpkin scented candle!! I used to burn candles daily in our home, and never thought twice about it. But that all changed after a sweet friend enlightened me of the dangers of candles. After hearing her story, I started doing my own research. At first, I wanted to stay rooted in this idea that they couldn’t be that bad — but friend, article after article described the dangers of candles. The carcinogens they release. The pollutants & soot that lands in our air & homes. I couldn’t shake it & decided then and there to stop burning candles in our home.
It was a sad day for me – I know that sounds so silly! But those of you who are candle lovers, know, how calming and cozy a flickering candle can be! Lucky for all of us, there’s a solution — diffusing!! Now we have diffuse all throughout our house using pure essential oils. They smell even better than the synthetic, fragrance-filled diffusers I was using before, plus have sooo many additional health benefits to support our body, emotions, and so much more.
Before we dive into diffusing, let’s take a step into the studies & why we should avoid candles.
Why Avoid candles?
- Scented candles are known to release VOCs – volatile organic compounds both BEFORE lighting and when lit/burning.
- Commonly emitted VOCs related to the scent in candles include formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, limonene, alcohol, and esters. These harmful chemicals can cause health problems ranging from headaches, dizziness, allergy symptoms, asthma attacks, respiratory tract infections, and even cancer
- Candles emit soot, which gets into the air and has to land somewhere.
- The contents of many fragrance candles are made of zinc, tin, and lead and spread easily from candles due to no filter.
- One hour of burning a candle in your home is equivalent to smoking a cigarette for your lungs.
- A study by scientists at Copenhagen University conducted on mice found exposure to particles from burning candles to cause greater damage than the same dose of diesel exhaust fumes.
Why We Diffuse Instead of Burn Candles
Diffusing relies on water + essential oils to create a fine mist that releases into the air. You are literally just evaporating water & plant juice into your air to not only make your home smell good all throughout the day, but also benefit from the essential oil’s therapeutic properties, plus act as a humidifier.
Our sense of smell is connected to our limbic system, which is the part of our brain that deals with emotion, memory, and feelings. Diffusing pure essential oils can have a huge impact on our mood, body, and emotions too!
Get Started Diffusing
How I got started, and my favorite way for you to get started, is to grab this premium starter bundle from Young Living! It comes with 12 of my most used, favorite essential oils plus a beautiful diffuser of your choice. It retails for over $400, but is bundled together for new customers at $165!
If you prefer to just choose the essential oils, diffuser, and/or other wellness products you want to purchase, you can completely customize your order too!
Read more about essential oils + our wellness lifestyle:
Have a question or want to chat more? Send me a message!